Using Your ELD and Hours of Service
Installing the Hardware
The Transflo ELD hardware only takes minutes to install but, we strongly recommend watching the how-to video below:
- 9-pin configuration: Watch here
Accessing Your ELD Portal
You should have received a welcome e-mail to the e-mail address you provided when signing up for ELD service. This e-mail contains your Transflo Telematics Portal URL and login credentials.
Downloading the HOS Application
The Transflo Mobile+ application can be downloaded from the iOS and Android app stores from the links below. This application is how you will access your hours of service features. As part of registration users will need the recipient/fleet id provided in your welcome e-mail.
Using the Application for Hours of Service
The Transflo ELD system is comprehensive, but easy to use. Below are some videos and documents that will walk through how the hours of service software works. Many of these videos can also be found in to Transflo Mobile+ application under the ELD Videos menu item.
Here are a few quick videos to show you how the HOS portion of the application works:
- Drivers Webinar –This is a step-by-step video training to show all drivers how to utilize the ELD application.
- How to Log Hours of Service (HOS): Watch here
- How to Log DVIR Report: Watch here
- How to Manage Your Tractor/Trailer/Shipment: Watch here
ELD Support Center
Have questions? Visit the Transflo ELD Support Center to view training videos, user guides, and frequently asked questions.
View these printer friendly PDFs by clicking the name, or bookmark this page and scroll down and expand the instructions below.
- Transflo Mobile+ Download and Installation Instructions – A document walking drivers through installing the app.
- Transflo Telematics – Driver’s Guide to HOS – Rev2019 in ENGLISH and SPANISH – A quick guide for drivers on how to use the HOS section of Transflo ELD.
- Transflo Telematics – Driver’s Guide to DVIR – A quick guide for drivers on how to use the DVIR section of Transflo ELD.
- Geotab Drive – Driver’s Guide to Roadside Inspection [PUBLIC] – A reference card the driver is required to keep in his cab on how to generate and email the compliance report during an inspection.
- Transflo Telematics – Administration – Adding Users – Rev20180404 – A guide for administrators on user setup, both for drivers and admin users.
- Transflo Telematics – Administration – HOS Reports – A guide for administrators on looking up a driver’s logs, generating a violations report, and checking drivers’ HOS availability.
- Transflo Telematics – Administration – DVIR Reports – A guide for administrators on reviewing DVIRs.
- Transflo ELD Training – A PowerPoint to help you with training your drivers on the ELD app.
Administering HOS, Reporting & Telematics From the Web Portal
HOS, Telematics data, and much more is available in your Transflo Telematics portal. Your welcome e-mail should have contained all information you need to access it. Below are two webinars that cover the basic and advances functions available to you.
Adding a Driver Log
If a driver has missed changing a status, for example, forgets to log off duty at 5pm, an administrator will need to add a log or he will still be on duty from the day before.
1. In the Duty Status Log screen select the Add button (Activity/HOS…/Duty Status Logs)
2. Click the date window to select from the calendar
3. Select the date and time for the new log
4. Change the Status, Device, Driver, Co-driver(s) and/or Address as necessary
5. Add an annotation about the changes made
6. Select Save (at top of window)
Any log that has been added will show with a pencil icon in the Duty Status Logs to identify that it has been added in MyGeotab and not created/edited by the driver on the mobile or in-cab device
Editing a Driver Log
1. In the Duty Status Log screen, click the log to be edited (Activity/HOS…/Duty Status Logs)
2. Make the changes in the Log Edit screen by selecting the desired change (Date, Status, Device, etc.)
3. Select Save (at top of window)
Any log that has been added will show with a pencil icon in the Duty Status Logs to identify that it has been added in MyGeotab and not created/edited by the driver on the mobile or in-cab device.
This report should be run monthly and kept as a pdf for 6 months as a requirement by the FMCSA regulations.
- In the Duty Status Log screen (Activity/HOS…/Duty Status Logs), select the Options button to select the Date period and Driver for whom to run the report
- Click Apply Changes; this will run the report.
- At the top of the page, click the Compliance Print button. The print screen will display, so you can print out
the report you need a driver to sign off on logs he or she has not verified, or save it as a pdf to keep on file. You can also present this report during a DOT inspection
This report shows the drivers selected and what their availability is for their cycle and how much time they have left in each status.
- Select Activity/HOS…/Availability
- Select the desired drivers or Select all to display a list of drivers and their availability
- Select Activity/HOS…/Violations
- Select the time period for which to run the report
- Select the desired drivers from the drop down list or Select all to display all drivers and their violations for
this specified time period, Apply Changes to view on screen
- Select the View button/Report (change the time period or the drivers with the Options button)
- The report will display on screen, to export to Excel, Select the Excel button at top of page
- Select Engine & Maintenance/DVIR
- Select the time frame
- Select Run report by: All, Only Defective, Only Repaired, Only Certified
- Select the Vehicle(s)
- Select Trailer(s) (if needed)
- Apply changes
- Watch here
To Change the Default Defects List:
- Select Engine & Maintenance/DVIR
- Select Defects
- Select Add
- Enter the defect for the list
- Select Save
- Continue to add the list until all parts are added
- Select the Add Defect for a sublist or defect
- Select Save when completed
Setting Up Admin Users for the ELD Portal
Follow these steps to add Admin Portal Users:
- Enter a password and then confirm the password; this will be the user’s password, which you will have to provide to the user, together with their username.
- Click Yes next to ‘Force password change on next login’; this will remove the password fields, but will instead generate a temporary password that will be sent to the user’s email address, containing the login link. The user will be requested to change the password upon initial login.
6. Set the desired Security clearance. A normal user will have sufficient viewing permissions as a Default user. If your user needs to be able to make administrative changes (add/edit users, add vehicles, etc.), you will need to change this value to Administrator. User profiles can also be customized, to allow your users access to fewer or more options within the system; if this is something you’d like to explore, please let us know and we will be able to assist you. 7. For Data Access, until you start actively using Groups, the default value of Everything is correct. Once you start adding and working with groups in the future, the data access per user can be restricted by adding group membership for a user. 8. Designation, Employee number, and Comments fields are all optional fields. 9. Go to the UI Settings tab. 10. There, verify the REGIONAL SETTINGS, to ensure the correct units of measurements and time zone are being used. You can also change the default start-up page to either the Dashboard, the Map, or the Vehicles page, toward the bottom of the page under UI SETTINGS. 11. Next, click the Save button at the top of the page, to complete the user setup.
Adding Driver Users to your ELD Portal
Follow these steps to add a new driver.
1. Go to Administration > Users
2. At the top, click the Add button
By default you will start on the User tab.
3. Enter the user’s email address (which will be their username), first name, and last name.
4. Set the Authentication type to
The other option – MyAdmin (Global User) is for Transflo only.
5. For the password you have two options:
- Set ‘Force password change on next login’ to ‘No’:
In this case, you will enter a password and then confirm the password; this will be the user’s password, which you will have to provide to the user, together with their username.
This is the recommended option when setting up users, particularly driver users.
- Set ‘Force password change on next login’ to ‘Yes’: This will remove the password fields, but will instead generate a temporary password that will be sent to the user’s email address, containing the login link. The user will be requested to change the password upon initial login.
6. Set the desired Security clearance. For a driver you will need to change the security clearance to Drive App User.
7. For Data Access, until you start actively using Groups, the default value of Everything is correct. Once you start adding and working with groups in the future, the data access per user can be restricted by adding group membership for a user.
8. Designation, Employee number, and Comments fields are all optional fields.
Note: When integrating into RAIR, you will need to enter your driver’s ID into the Employee Number field.
9. Go to the Driver tab.
10. Click on Yes next to ‘This user is a driver’ and ‘Prevent driver access to shared data’:
11. Towards the bottom of the page, enter the driver’s license number and state:
NOTE: Thisinformationnotonlyisrequiredtoensurecompliance,itisalsorequiredinorderfor your driver to be able to transfer the HOS data to the FMCSA during a roadside inspection.
12. Next, go to the UI Settings tab.
13. On the UI Settings tab, verify that the settings are correct, including the time zone for the driver. Additionally, if you have Spanish speaking drivers, you can change the Language to ‘Español’; this will change the language in the app to Spanish for ease of use.
14. Next, go to the HOS Settings tab.
15. On the HOS Settings tab, ensure that the correct Rule Set Followed by User is set for your driver:
16. If applicable, enable the 24-hour restart and/or Oilwell wait time settings:
17. Enter the home terminal and home terminal address of the driver, and enter the DOT number in the Carrier number field. These values are also required to ensure compliance.
18. If applicable, enable Yard moves and/or Personal conveyance. This setting will determine if this option will be available for the driver in the mobile application.
19. Next, click the Save button at the top of the page to complete the driver setup.
ELD: DVIR Workflow
Drivers must perform Driver Vehicle Inspection Reports (DVIR). If repairs are required, the appropriate staff member must review the DVIR. They must also take corrective action on identified issues and update the inspection report, noting that repairs have been made or are unnecessary. The following is a guide to the DVIR workflow:
1. From the Dashboard (Home Screen), select DVIR.
2. Under Inspection Reports, select Inspect besidethe 2 associated vehicle or trailer(s).
From Step 3 and onwards, choose the scenario that applies to your DVIR.
3a. No Defects on Previous Inspection
Before performing a new inspection, you will first have to sign off on the previous inspection. If there are no defects on the previous inspection, you can click Certify previous inspection and start a new inspection.
Drivers must perform Driver Vehicle Inspection Reports (DVIR). If repairs are required, the appropriate staff member must review the DVIR.
Take corrective action on identified issues and update the inspection report. Note any repairs that have been made or deemed unnecessary.
3B. Defects on Previous Inspection
If the previous inspection had a defect and a repair was made, the driver will have to review the repair and certify if the vehicle is Safe to operate or Unsafe to operate.
Note: Selecting Unsafe to operate will auto-select thedefects listed on the previous inspection.
4a. Defects on Previous Inspection
If no defects are found on inspection, scroll down thepage and select Done. Finally, certify that the vehiclewas inspected in compliance with regulations.
4b. Defects Found on Inspection
Select the defects that apply. Scroll down, add remarks, and then select Done. Finally, certify that thevehicle was inspected in compliance with regulations.
5a. Completing the Inspection (No Issues)
The inspection is complete. There are no defects and no repairs are required.
5b. Completing the Inspection (Defects)
The inspection is complete. Defects requiring repairs have been identified.
Repairing Defectsread more...
The following are the steps for those authorized to log repairs. If you are unauthorized, please speak with your manager.
1. From the Dashboard (Home Screen) you can see if an asset needs repairs. Select DVIR to continue.
2. Under Inspection Reports, select Repair beside the associated vehicle or trailer(s).
3. Review the previous inspection, add remarks, and then select Repair made or not necessary.
4. The Inspections Reports page will indicate that a repair has been logged.
Driver’s Guide to Data Transfer at Roadside Inspection!! IMPORTANT: read more...
In the event of a roadside inspection:
1. From the Dashboard, select the Inspection Mode tab
2. Do one of the following:
a. Enter the code provided by the Officer in theComments field, and select Email or Web Services to transfer the report.
b. Select the Compliance Print to display the report on your mobile device. Use the arrow buttons tomove between days. Scroll through each report todisplay all information for that day.
To exit Inspection Mode, select the back arrow at the top left corner of the screen.
To review the DVIR, select the DVIR icon at the top of the screen, and select Review. Scroll down and selectView to see the list of defects used in the inspection.
To exit the DVIR, close the defects list and select the back arrow at the top left corner of the screen.
If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to reach out to Account Services for any general account related questions or guidance. You can also always reach out to our ELD Support team for any technical related issues.
Account Services –
- Phone: 813-386-2378
- Email: email@example.com
Additionally, you can go to our ELD Support website, where you will find more information on Transflo ELD, including videos on how to use features, and links to additional support information:
Transflo ELD T-Series
- Easy plug and play installation (in less than 10 minutes)
- Advanced engine data capture
- Accurate recording to the second
- Highly sensitive GPS and accelerometer
- Durable and compact
- (less than 3 inches in length)
- And much more!
- Hours of Service (HOS) status
- Driver vehicle inspection report (DVIR)
- Load management
- Document capture
- Dispatch chat
- Approved routing
- Driver settlement
- And much more!
Transflo Telematics Portal
- Visibility into driver behavior and safety
- Violation notifications
- Accident detection and reconstruction
- Ultra-accurate vehicle diagnostics
- Out-of-route analysis
- Real-time GPS truck tracking
- Fuel consumption monitoring
- And much more!
Comply with the ELD mandate and enjoy better telematics at a fraction of the cost. Download the details.